Headache is one of the most common health issues worldwide. All of us have suffered from headaches repeatedly and have even taken medications for the same. Well, fortunately there are several headache treatments available now, but how about if we totally avoid getting headaches?
It is not possible to avoid every type of headache. For instance, the primary headaches – migraine, tension and cluster headaches are difficult to avoid. However, we can always take measures to avoid secondary headaches which are usually the result of other health conditions.
Understanding headache triggers
Headaches are caused by headache triggers. If you learn to control these triggers, you can easily control headaches everyday. However, triggers like weather changes and hormonal fluctuations which takes place during menstruation, ovulation, and menopause in women aren’t something that can be controlled.
Now, to control headache triggers is easy, all you have to do is know them. Some of the most common ones are:
- Consuming too much alcohol, especially red wine
- Exposing to extremely bright light, loud sounds, and overpowering smells
- Straining eyes by operating cellphones and laptops for too long
- Irregular sleep cycles
- Rigorous exercises
- Bad food habits
- Caffeine withdrawal
Keeping a log is the key
There are several other headache triggers than the ones mentioned above. Well, in order to understand what triggers your headache, it is necessary to maintain a detailed log. Noting down your day to day routine will help you in understanding the cause of your headache. You will gradually find a pattern in which your headaches are triggered.
Start maintaining a diary and record things like:
- What you ate and when
- What you drank and when
- For how long did you sleep and when
- What exercises or yoga postures do you do and for how long
- What other physical exercises you do
- What medication you are taking
- When did you have a headache, how severe it was, and what did you do to relieve it?
This log will not only help you in understanding your headaches, but will also be of great help for your doctor. If there is a pattern which you aren’t able to find out, don’t worry. Your doctor will certainly find a pattern in your headaches and will provide proper medical assistance.
Preventing headaches with simple lifestyle changes:
- Using the right pillow: How you choose your pillow also has its own importance. In fact, it is recommended that you travel with your own pillow wherever you go.
- Maintain a consistent routine: At times, not having a proper routine may also trigger headaches. This is because there are no fixed timings for meals, exercising, sleeping, etc.
- Get good sleep: Resting well will keep your body energetic and fresh. Of course, you don’t want to over sleep as that may again have negative effects.
- Eat and Drink well: A healthy diet and enough fluids in the system is the key to a healthy life.
- Manage stress: Activities like exercising, yoga, deep breathing can help you relieve your stress.
It is far easier to prevent headaches than dealing with them. So, maintain an ideal lifestyle and control the headache triggers which affect you.